What is Leicester Young Ecology Adventurers?
SOCOPA has received funding from the National Lottery to create a programme for Somali young people aged 11-14 in Leicester. This is the first programme of its kind in England and it will provide opportunities for young people to:
- Learn how to canoe with professional tutors
- Experience the outdoors, including the wildlife and ecology of rivers and canals
- Receive an Award if they complete the course
- Learn new skills which will help in science, history and geography at school
- Build their confidence, team work and communication skills Who is involved?
The programme is a partnership with the Canal and River Trust, Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre and Cardiff University.
When will it take place? SOCOPA will run the first programme from July-September 2017 followed by two more in 2018. The exact dates are not yet set. Young people will be expected to attend about 12 sessions over the summer holidays for approx. 3 hours/ week (5-8pm)and on some Saturday mornings. There will be two early starts (approximately 5am) and 3 evening sessions (finishing approx. 9.30pm) Who can take part? We want to recruit a group of 12-15 young people (boys and girls) aged 11-14 years old who are:
- Interested to explore the outdoors and learn about the environment.
- Prepared to try out new experiences in a safe and supervised way.
- Can follow instructions carefully and work well in a group.
- Prepared to keep a diary and do a presentation to family and friends at the end. Information for parents
- There will be no cost for young people to take part.
- The programme will be supervised by SOCOPA and trained staff will be with young people at all times. All the activities will be checked for health and safety risks.
- Safety equipment including life jackets will be provided for all participants.
- Transport to and from the venues will be provided.
- No special clothes are required. School PE type clothes are fine.
- Parents and young people selected for the programme will be given details of the programme and they will also be invited to an evening beforehand when they will be able to ask questions.
If you would like your child to take part…
Please speak to Abdikayf Farah at SOCOPA before 31 May 2017.
Places for all activities can be booked through SOCOPA Office at 19 Brunswick street Leicester LE1 2LP Tel: 01162628632 ama 07853290875.